Saturday, October 07, 2006

The not-so-calm after a storm

Well, I wrote in my first entry that my daughter was about to turn one. That milestone is now behind us. What a week. We had my mother, my grandmother, my sister-in-law, and my 2 year old niece all staying in the house for 8 days. Plus my daughter, husband, and me, and our very grouchy cat. Then there was the party-- about 30 adults and 15 kids. Including my mother-in-law and her new boyfriend, and my father-in-law. It's not a party if we can't get all of them in the same room!

Yesterday was the day the last of our houseguests departed and my husband and I were looking forward to reclaiming our space and enjoying a quiet weekend at home. But, being me, I decided to fill the laundry sink (which is upstairs) and after plugging the drain and turning on the water, I of course got distracted and walked away. Today, instead of our quiet weekend, we now have three dehumidifiers and about 10 industrial strength fans blowing air around our radically rearranged upstairs and garage. Carpets were pulled up, soggy carpet pad and wet drywall ripped out and hauled away, doors and wood molding removed, and appliances (most notably our clothes dryer) taken out of commission for the weekend. Nothing like not having a dryer when you've not only soaked every towel in the house in a panic after flooding your upstairs, but have four houseguests' worth of towels and bedding to wash and dry.

I need a vacation.

Monday I have an appointment with my OB, Dr. Favorite. I have to say, having just spent more than a week with a 2 year old in the house, the idea of having another child at this point is considerably less attractive than it was 2 weeks ago.

No comments: