Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ouch

So there I was, this morning at 11, lifting my 27-pound toddler into a high chair at local-amusement-park-which-shall-not-be-named, when it happened. That horrible feeling of something ripping in my lower back. Who knows what it was: a muscle, a set of muscles, an already-misshapen disc in my spine... I have once again thrown out my back.

The last time this happened, I was in grad school. My husband was still my boyfriend. Having chldren was a vague plan for far off in the future. I took a few days off, popped painkillers and muscle relaxants like candy, went to a physical therapist for a while, and was mildly inconvenienced.

Today, however, I have a husband who just took 2 weeks off work and can't really take any time off to allow his wife to recline in bed while he cooks, cleans, and does kid duty. I have a job that doesn't come with the opportunity to be sick without massively inconveniencing the rest of the department. I have a rapidly expanding uterus, putting strain on an already dicey lower back. And, of course, I have the 27 pound toddler, too small to climb into her own carseat or high chair.

Well, shit.

On the plus side, tomorrow D goes to day care, and then it's the weekend. I am hoping to have myself somewhat functional by Monday. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Geohde said...

Ouch!

I'm sorry to hear that your back has decided to go on strike just when you need it most.

BigP's Heather said...

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm here via Geohde and I just wanted to let you know that your comment on her last post scared the crap out of me. I'm just positive that I'm going to have nightmares about that tonight when I go to bed!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so worried about how my lower back is going to respond as I continue to grow... I hope you're able to ignore the nagging, stressful thoughts about work and just rest. Get well soon!!